Monday, February 22, 2010

MAKING CONNECTIONS

Writing can get lonely. And only other writers will understand your passion/obsession. It's so important to network. That's how I got my agent. That's how I got the first request from an editor for my manuscript. That's how I got a scholarship to a writing conference. That's how I met my amazing critique partner. That's how I got to judge the Genesis book contest. If you aren't sharing ideas and information with other writers, then you are missing many opportunities.

For this reason Borderline Publishing put on an author appreciation coffee this past Friday. Thanks to all who showed up for the event. I enjoyed getting to know you better. And I loved watching the connections that were made. One fantasy author connected with a sci-fi author who was able to help in getting him into local sci-fi convention Fandemonium to speak on the author panel. Then I introduced two other ladies who have a similar audience and now want to do their book launch parties together. And of course, Di loved showing off her picture in the newspaper. Such enthusiasm is contagious.

I encourage all writers to find a way to connect with others. Look for a writer's conference or join a Yahoo group. Or hey, sign up for the writing class I'll be teaching through community ed this spring. And if you can't wait that long, meet me at Red Letter Books at 10:00 this Saturday to learn about plotting your novel. ;-) It's the second session in my six-week-series. Hope to see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment