Wednesday, March 17, 2010

ROCKIN' RESEARCH

I could never write a historical novel--too much research. Just check out the filing system my friend Deeanne Gist needs to create her award winning historical romances. Intenational suspense also takes a lot of research, but author/editor Jeanette Windle knows her subject so well that she was interrogated by the FBI because of all the classified information she had. I admire that. But I would never want to do it. Here's my kind of research...

I wrote a book about a white water rafting guide in Sun Valley, Idaho. So I found a rafting company in Sun Valley and sent them an email to see if they could help me out. They offered to let me interview their guides and tell me their history. Plus they invited me rafting!

This experience will make my story more authentic. I've rafted the Rogue and the Deschutes in Oregon and the Icicle in Washinton, but never the Salmon--which is supposed to be one of America's most sought after rafting locations.

So here is your challenge for the day: Find something new to research for your writing. Interview a cop, follow a doctor around for day, or try riding a mechanical bull. As for me, I think I'm going to set my next book in Hawaii.

No comments:

Post a Comment