Friday, March 12, 2010

SUCCESS BY ASSOCIATION

Just renewed my membership to American Christian Fiction Writers today. Joining them was one of the best things I've ever done for my writing. Probably the coolest thing about them is their Yahoo group where you can network with most of the big names in the industry. It's a great resource for anything from asking questions about research to finding out the latest news on publishers, conferences, and awards. There are also tons of book give-aways and marketing ideas. Plus, they have a newsletter that I actually got to be featured in when I sold my first novel. It's a wonderfully encouraging community.

Now not everybody writes Christinan fiction like I do. But I'm sure there's an association for your genre, as well. One other group I've joined was Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators. They offer similar opportunities, including scholarships to their annual conferences in California and New York.

If you want to know where to start with your writing and publishing dreams, these are good kinds of memberships to have. Include them on a cover letter to agents and editors and they'll know you have actively pursued the improvement of your craft.

No comments:

Post a Comment