Wednesday, April 14, 2010

MAKE IT MATTER

I am in the stage of getting ready for an intense writing workshop in Portland next weekend. Had to fill out a survey for the manuscript I have due to my publisher May 1. This is the question that stumped me at first:

Why does your story matter?

Ooh, can't it just be a fun story? Can't it simply be entertainment? An escape? It's a silly romance, for Pete's sake. But as the author, I should want it to matter.

So I dug deep. And I found a meaning that is connected to my very core. It's a theme that runs through everything I write. It's a lesson I have to remind myself of repeatedly. And I do want it to affect my readers.

Can you find the deep meaning in your writing? Try this...

Write down what your book is about. Then write: "So what?"

Answer the question. Then write: "So what?" again.

Repeat until you find the reason your book matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment