Monday, April 26, 2010

SIX MAJOR PLOTS

So I went to a writer's workshop this weekend where I learned so much that it feels like I knew nothing about writing before. A little overwhelming, but fun at the same time. Here's something fun I learned...

All novels fall into one of these basic plots:
1) Overcoming the Monster--Star Wars, The Pelican Brief, Ferris Bueller's Day Off
2) Rags to Riches--Cinderella, My Fair Lady, Pretty Woman
3) The Great Quest--Raiders of the Lost Ark, National Treasure, Saving Private Ryan
4) Home Again, Home Again--Wizard of Oz, Sweet Home Alabama
5) Beast to Beauty--The Sound of Music, Gladiator (A tragedy is a takeoff of this without the happy ending, like in A Beautiful Mind.)
6) See the Light--Devil Wears Prada, Return to Me

My novel coming out in December is a Home Again, Home Again. Which plot fits your writing?

No comments:

Post a Comment