Friday, April 16, 2010

PATH TO PUBLICATION


Tomorrow I get to speak at the Pacific Northwest Association of Church Libraries. I'll be talking about my journey of becoming an author, as well as the journeys of the other authors here at Borderline.

Most authors didn't have the headstart I did. Because of my mom's passion for writing, I had my picture and stories about me published in magazines when I was little. (Yes, that really is a photo of me with the Dorothy Hammil haircut.) So submitting my own stories to magazines when I wrote them was a natural next step. And it's a great first step for anyone interested in writing.

I always recommend to authors that they submit excerpts or articles to magazines to help promote their books. It's like getting paid to advertise. And it looks good in your bio.

What is a magazine that you could submit to? Which magazines do you read? Which would be interested in the subjects you have experience with? Look up their submission guidelines and give it a try. Writing an article is definitely good practice for writing your book.

No comments:

Post a Comment